Sunday, July 13, 2014

A mothers beauty in her daughters eyes.

Since today was extremely rainy and cloudy, the girls and I decided to go shopping, or at least attempt. 

While in the dressing room and trying to block out the noise from three very tired, hungry kiddos, I looked in the mirror saddened at the woman starring back at me. I had entered this dressing room three minutes prior full of self-esteem and hope in finding a cute blouse for a special upcoming date with my husband. My hair was soaking wet from the pouring rain, I didn't have time this morning to apply even the smallest amount of makeup on my puffy eyes, the maternity band on my pants had been stretched out to its fullest from my previous pregnancy causing my jeans to now sag, and my 20 lbs. of excess baby fat was not one bit appealing in the new and super adorable top.

"Why did it look so cute on the hanger and absolutely atrocious on me? " I mumbled under my breath.

After letting out a long and much needed sigh, I felt a sticky, little hand softly land on my cheek. I turned to find Jaylee standing on her tip-toes directly on top of the little metal bench placed beside me. Her eyes were level with mine and she said with a sparkle in her eye, "Oh, Mommy. Don't be sad. You look so beautiful. Daddy will be happy. I love your flower shirt and pants."


My eyes immediately filled with tears. But instead of tears of sadness and self worth streaming down my cheeks, they were tears of love and acceptance. My three year old had the eyes to see past my body image and straight into my heart. And what awes me the most, is she had the voice to speak out when she saw I was hurting so badly inside. She doesn't see a frumpy, tired mother who still after twenty-one years hasn't learned to love herself, but a loving and caring mommy who looks beautiful even with a few extra pounds of cushion and an awkward fitting blouse.

I don't know what I did to deserve such a caring, Christ-like daughter, but I am eternally grateful she is mine forever. If I could be half the little lady she is,

I think I'd be almost prefect.

No comments:

Post a Comment